Healthiest cheap meal I know…
Two superfoods – brocolli and salmon, coupled with one of the healthiest foods from the base food group – brown rice, makes a very cheap and extremely healthy meal.
I have lived with a good friend of mine for a few years, who 4/7 nights a week would eat brocolli/tuna/pasta as it was cheap (and from his nutrition education as a chef) and very nutritious. So I made my own twist on it, to make it more palatable night after night…
- John West Salmon Tempters (either Lemon & Cracked Pepper, Chilli, Natural Smoked or Sweet Chilli & Lime – these all comprise over 61% of Salmon) – $2.29 per 95g tin. If you have not had much energy food that day you can try the Pink Salmon 105g tin – $2.79.
- Brocolli – $4 to $8 a kg depending on season and availability.
- Brown rice – $4 per kg.
- Pasta sauce, containing tomato, another superfood, just look out for sauces which are high in sugar (optional – flavour in the Salmon tins are often enough).
- Add water and salt to a pot, heat to a rolling boil.
- Add pasta, cook for 8 mins.
- Add brocolli and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Strain, serve in a bowl. Add contents of Salmon tin and stir.
- Add pasta sauce, cheese, seasoning etc (all optional).
Somehow I just don’t get sick of this meal. For around $3.50 you get a huge amount of vitamins and healthy fats. This will be a key staple in an upcoming van convoy around parts of Australia.